Exit Slip: Short Films

I don't know if I would use the videos in a class because I don't really like the idea that the best way to get girls interested in math is by appealing to their aesthetic interests. From my perspective, this kind of thinking is strengthening gender stereotypes rather than fighting them. It makes it seems like the only way to get girls interested in math is by presenting it in a more feminine form. We don't need to masculinize math to appeal to boys so I don't think we should need to feminize it to appeal to girls. I worry that this might create some sort of divide between "regular math" and "girl math", that this is only perpetuating the idea that math is normally only made for boys.

I did like the fields medal videos. I think it can be very inspiring to see people who love math explain why they are so passionate about it. I also think it is very beneficial to expose students to a diverse set of role models as a lack of relatable role models can be a huge barrier in getting students interested in math.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exit Slip - Garden-Based Learning

Entrance Slip: The Tact of Teaching

Entrance Slip - Becoming a Reflective Teacher