Entrance Slip - Multicultural School Gardens

The thing that I found most interesting while reading this article was how the garden became a space where students could "embody their own culture" through the study of language and the environment. I thought it was really beautiful how the students were able to share aspects of their culture with each other and with the teachers and to explore how different cultures relate to the environment as a group.  I think it is becoming more and more important to talk about how different cultures have traditionally related to their environment as our society becomes more detached from the natural world. Kids are spending less time outside then ever so I think it is important that we give them the opportunities to explore these natural spaces. Learning other cultures' perspectives increases the likelihood that something will resonate with them. I think that seeing how important natural relationships are from a traditional and global standpoint really highlights how important it is that we continue to value and protect the environment.

I also think a garden could be a really wonderful learning environment. I never attended a school with a garden but I do remember how stuffy classrooms can get. On a nice day, even opening a window can create a more positive learning environment so I imagine that learning outside would be even more enjoyable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exit Slip - Garden-Based Learning

Entrance Slip: The Tact of Teaching

Entrance Slip - Becoming a Reflective Teacher